Santa Fe Seminar 2001

---------

From: Nancy Walkup (walkup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:49:44 PDT

FYI: This year I am changing the focus of my Santa Fe Seminar to folk art, since I consider Santa Fe to be the folk art capital of the world. I'll update as plans are finalized.

Nancy

Con Corazon y Mano: Folk Art Traditions of New Mexico
July 15-21, 2001
Plaza Resolana, Santa Fe, New Mexico

Folk art is oftentimes considered to encompass objects of individual
aesthetic expression made by hand, based on cultural traditions, and
learned from family at home through example and practice. Folk art
objects frequently are based on traditions of special media, forms, or
nctions by artists and artisans with no academic training. Because of
such characteristics, folk art is routinely contrasted with "fine" art,
yet not all art aficionados share this view or accept such distinctions.
If you are a teacher, a fan of folk art, or just want to learn more
about it, please join us in Santa Fe, the home of the Museum of
International Folk Art. We will explore folk art traditions that range
from Navajo pottery, weaving, and mud toys, to Hispanic retablos, the
Mexican Days of the Dead, milagros, and paper cutting and include artist
and museum visits with hands-on activities.