Re: Doing Grades

---------

From: Laura McCoy (Laura.McCoy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 16:01:20 PDT

Hi there,

I have over 450 students in grade 7 and 8, so I also know how long grading
can take. I give out a rubric at the beginning of every project so that
the students can see what expected of them. The rubric lists criteria (ie
use of media, drawing skill, etc) and then 4 levels, each detailed (ie
level 4: focal point clearly emphasized by use of colour) so that they
know exactly what I am marking, and I don't have to comment on each work
as I mark it, unless there is a real problem or it is outstanding in some
way. I also mark daily progress, behaviour etc on a rubric as I walk
around the class. I did post this rubric earlier (albeit as an attachment
for which I am very sorry!) but if anyone wants copies you can email me.

Today I was marking as I walked around the class and the kids were taking
bets on what mark they and their friends would get - and because of the
rubrics, they can practically mark themselves - usually they were prettty
close! (although comments from me about ways to improve are, of course,
invaluable)

Hope this helps

Laura