RE: Doing Grades

---------

From: Julie Brady (7.jbrady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 08:29:09 PDT

------_=_NextPart_001_01C03DCF.27A6C7A0

In the past, I have only had to give students an "S" (satisfactory) or an
"N" (unsatisfactory) with comments on report cards. I am at a new school,
and now I am required to give grades. I teach K and 3-8, and I am having no
difficulty with middle school, but the young ones are a different story.
For the middle school students, I give them a rubric at the begining of each
project. Typically the projects are worth 25 points, broken into five
categories. One is always "effort/use of time", the other four pertain
directly to the media used, content, use of space, etc. They know ahead of
time exactly what I will grade them on and can use their creativity around
my expectaions.

EG: Impressionism Project (Oil Pastel)

5 - effort/use of time
5 - strokes (small)
5 - contrast/value changes
5 - design
5 - perspective

I give a 5 if they were "above and beyond", 4 if they showed the concept
well, 3 if it was barely adequate, 2 if it was lacking, 1 if no evidence at
all. This has worked very well. If I am having difficulty deciding on a
number, I will have the student explain their intentions and work to me -
this will usually clear it up. I use a clip board to take notes on "use of
time" while they are working. Sounds time consuming, but it really works
well.
The young ones, on the other hand, are more difficult for me. I give each
project an overall 1-5 rating - usually everyone gets a 4 or 5 depending on
the effort and demonstration of the concept in their work. The only way I
give a 3 or lower is if they are a behavior issue.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C03DCF.27A6C7A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2652.35">
<TITLE>RE: Doing Grades</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>In the past, I have only had to give students an =
&quot;S&quot; (satisfactory) or an &quot;N&quot; (unsatisfactory) with =
comments on report cards.&nbsp; I am at a new school, and now I am =
required to give grades.&nbsp; I teach K and 3-8, and I am having no =
difficulty with middle school, but the young ones are a different =
story.&nbsp; For the middle school students, I give them a rubric at =
the begining of each project.&nbsp; Typically the projects are worth 25 =
points, broken into five categories.&nbsp; One is always =
&quot;effort/use of time&quot;, the other four pertain directly to the =
media used, content, use of space, etc.&nbsp; They know ahead of time =
exactly what I will grade them on and can use their creativity around =
my expectaions.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>EG:&nbsp; Impressionism Project&nbsp; (Oil =
Pastel)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 - effort/use of time</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 - strokes (small)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 - contrast/value changes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 - design</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>5 - perspective</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I give a 5 if they were &quot;above and beyond&quot;, =
4 if they showed the concept well, 3 if it was barely adequate, 2 if it =
was lacking, 1 if no evidence at all.&nbsp; This has worked very =
well.&nbsp; If I am having difficulty deciding on a number, I will have =
the student explain their intentions and work to me - this will usually =
clear it up.&nbsp; I use a clip board to take notes on &quot;use of =
time&quot; while they are working.&nbsp; Sounds time consuming, but it =
really works well.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The young ones, on the other hand, are more difficult =
for me. I give each project an overall 1-5 rating - usually everyone =
gets a 4 or 5 depending on the effort and demonstration of the concept =
in their work.&nbsp; The only way I give a 3 or lower is if they are a =
behavior issue.&nbsp;</FONT> </P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C03DCF.27A6C7A0--