Re: print mediums

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 19:49:19 PDT

I'm not an old time teacher yet, but I think I know what you're talking about,
so I'll give it a stab.
You can make a duplicating pad with gelatin.
The pad is made from 2 cups water, 4 ounces unflavored gelatin, 2 teaspoons
boric acid solution. You pour the water over the gelatin and let that stand in
a bowl for a couple of hours, then pour the softened gelatin into a 8x11 inch
baking pan, bring it to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes. take it off the
heat, add the boric acid solution and let it set overnight.

To print with this thing, you need copy pencils or hectograph pencils (whatever
they are.) You draw on typing paper, and then transfer that image to the pad-
sponge the pad with water, put drawing face down on the pad, rub out any
wrinkles, wait a minute, then remove it. Pull prints by laying new paper on
the pad, smoothing any wrinkles and lifting the paper back off. The pad can be
re-used - you wipe it down and let it dry for a day. It will last indefinitely
if you don't let it get too dried out.

and I have a recipe (not that I've actually tried) for ink to use for the
original drawings instead of said pencils: 1 1/2 teaspoon water based pigment,
1 teaspoon glycerine, 4 teaspoons distilled water and 2/3 teaspoon peppermint
extract.

missmolly@clearnet.net writes:
>Ok, maybe some old time teacher can refresh my mid and tell how to do make
>the gelatin medium for printmaking? All this talk about printing made me
>remember this method, by only partly. anyone with details? If I remember
>correctly it was fun to do and cheep to boot. Thank for your help.

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin
susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu