Writing in the Art Room

---------

From: Gabrielle Prandoni (gprandon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:10:22 PDT

I think student writing can take many forms. Tomorrow I will have the
seventh grade students write directions to explain how they created collage
that incorporate saying by famous people, or are part of cultures ('Talk
does not cook rice' - Chinese saying). I will give them a prompt that
specifically tells the students what I am looking for in the directions -
the audience they are writing for, and the form they are to use.

I think by presenting a quality program, and trying not to become too
defensive about what you are doing (this is very hard for me :o)) you can
win the respect of the most cynical administrator. Art is important to
making life more fulfilling, visually pleasing, and expressing thoughts and
feelings. One of the ways I have used to make the cynics reevaluate their
stance, is to ask for a series of faculty meetings where each department
presents their curriculum(a mini class is given). This is a standard
activity at some Waldorf Schools. It makes the staff, and administration
more aware of what you are doing. It also is interesting to see how
everyone works, and the products they produce.
Hope this helps.
Gabrielle Prandoni
gprandon@erols.com