Re: artist that creates art with text

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:48:46 PDT

Have you asked any language-arts, or literature teachers if they have any ideas? I've seen some of the type of work you are talking about at art fairs, but don't have any names off hand.

>>> "Anna N." <anna@istatic.net> 10/22/00 11:05AM >>>
Thank you all for your responses! All of these artists are wonderful, and
I do use several in my curriculum already, Holzer, Kruger, etc... However,
this is not what im looking for. I am not lookng for artists who just use
text in their overall work, or that text is their message/art. I guess
this is difficult to explain. I am looking for artist/poet/writer who
CREATES the image-a recognizable object- with the words/text. For example,
instead of drawing pencil lines to create an image (of, say, a cup), they
use the repeating word "cupcupcupcupcup" to BE the line that creates the
shape of the cup. THe words are the contour lines. You can get very
complex with this, I have seen poetry written this way. Very cool. The
only memory I have is of a poem I saw about flowers, Chrysanthemums I
think, that the writer used the names of the different flowers, and words
that describe feelings, and with the words she drew a picture of a flower
pot of flowers. I think it was at a doctor appt int he office mags! I have
seen other examples of this...but can't remember...maybe on cards or
something???

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas? I will do the project
anyway - it's a lot of fun, I ve done it before and the kids dig it, so do
their teachers because we learn metaphors/similes and practice
writing...but I d love to have a sample that's not my own, but another
artist/writers.

Thanks for any info!

Anna

---