Re: sculptor-steel, negative space- help?

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:37:35 PDT

Calder?

>>> "Susan Holland" <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu> 10/20/00 10:02PM >>>

I'm looking for an artist to focus on in a middle school lesson on
sculpture. The main ideas of the lesson is negative space. For the
studio portion of this lesson, I want students to cut and assemble
corrugated cardboard planes into three dimensional sculptures,
considering the negative shapes/spaces they are creating.

Can anyone suggest an artist? I'm thinking of someone who uses steel
sheet metal, welding different pieces together and composing mostly with
simple geometric shapes. But I don't have any artist's name to help in
my search. Thanks.

Susan Holland
Visual Art Studies
University of Texas at Austin