RE: Teens suspended for not watching TV, from the internet news this a.m.

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 06:49:42 PDT

> Larry,
> What are your feelings on this? Susan in Ohio

> >Teens suspended for not watching TV
> >TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Two students who say their religious beliefs prohibit
> >them from watching television...

Mixed. There are several mistakes happening here and break-downs in
communication.

I don't want to disrespect anyone's religious views, not that it takes
religious views to realize that there is a lot on TV that is either not
worth watching or even detrimental to viewers.

However, if the family has these views, then they certainly should have
informed the school so that other arrangements could be made for the
students during the viewing time. Of course, it's never mentioned what the
school was showing on the TV. If it was a reputable academic program, some
of the parents concerns may have been relieved.

We are not told what all the school did to contact and work this through
with the family. If both sides have set up camp and trenches, then little
effective mediation can be accomplished.

Certainly I think that there is a solution acceptable to both sides; they
only need to look for it and commit themselves to it. If, however, these
are fixed positions, perhaps the parents should consider home school or
private schooling at a religious school.

Lar