Re: artist that creates art with text

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 21:54:13 PDT

Anna wrote:
>I am looking for artist/poet/writer who CREATES the image-a recognizable
>object- >with the words/text.
snip
>Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas?

I remember seeing an example of what you described, I think. It was a
portrait of John Wayne, (head only) complete with cowboy hat. From a
distance, it looked like a black and white picture. Up close, one noticed
that the student artist (college level) had used the words "john wayne,
john wayne" written over and over, and spaced accordingly to give the
impression of various values, so that it formed the complete portrait
without outlines. It was awesome!

Sorry, I don't know of any artist who works in this way.

Cheryl