In defense of Spell checkers was RE: writing in the classroom

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 21:13:28 PDT

I think using spell checkers was mentioned as part of a strategy for helping
students with LD's or who were in special Ed.

Now I've had trouble with spelling since 1st grade, when I flung my spelling
book against the wall and screamed I would never ever learn it. Handwriting
became an issue in 3rd grade, when my teacher "determined" I was
left-handed. Until then I was ambidextrous. In 8th grade a medical student
testing my eyesight picked up on the fact I should be right-handed, but I've
never switched back for handwriting. Now any idea that I was LD was
dismissed, because my reading scores were 3 - 5 years above my grade level.
Actually written information put in front of me gets read more like a
scanner than a person. I can read things that are upside down or mirror
image without realizing it. I am horrible at reading aloud, because I seem
to read whole paragraphs at a time. In my second semester freshman year of
university, I turned in an in class essay to my English Prof (Screaming Jack
Harris) that was a complete and total mirror image. To his credit he had me
read the essay to him and gave me a B for content and NG for grammar and
spelling. At that time the university determined I am disgraphic (sp). They
encouraged me to use a computer and type everything. I have learned to spell
more words, by using the spell check in a limited manner than I ever thought
possible. You see the computer does not accuse me of (A) being lazy and not
paying attention to my work or (B) being a fraud who is faking being smart
or belonging in school. I stopped being defensive and started teaching
myself. The computer highlights the misspelled word. Then I try to correct
it at least 2 times. If I can't do that then I use the suggestions. If I use
the suggestions, I also look the word up in the dictionary, often seeing the
phonic spelling helps the word stick in my mind.

Can spell checks make people lazy? Yes. Should their use be limited while
children are learning to spell? Yes. (Actually I believe computer use in the
lower grades should be limited for all subjects) Can spell checks help
students learn to spell if used correctly? Yes. I believe the teacher who
mentioned using spell checkers was encouraging students to use them similar
manner.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator