Textbooks

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 21:01:05 PDT

L. P. Skeen wrote:
> one vendor gave me his entire set of Middle School textbooks!

Lisa and other artsnet people
Would you be willing to critique the textbooks you have/use? I'm thinking
of ordering some for next year. I teach middle school and one section of
ninth graders. I think the textbooks would be a great supplement for
alternative learning styles, as well as an additional resource for the
classroom.

I have the teacher's edition of "Exploring Visual Design" by Davis
Publications (edition 2000). The focus is on the elements and principles
of design. These are the things I really like about it:
For the students:
~It has GREAT visuals, including age-related student works of art and
contemporary art.
~The chapters are well written, with key vocabulary highlighted in the
margins at the beginning of each chapter.
~It has interviews ("Career Portfolios") with artists in various career
related fields.
~Unlike some texts geared to specific projects, this one just has "try it"
suggestions (hands on) in the margins that relate to the topic / chapter.
~It has Review Questions.
For the teachers:
~Chapter overviews with objectives, teaching strategies, etc.
~It has computer connections.
~It lists the National Standards for each chapter.
~And the list goes on with suggestions about "Meeting Individual Needs,"
higher order thinking skills, integrated approaches, etc.

I'd give this one an A+ for high school level.

Cheryl