Do you really care about the future of our country?

---------

From: mdecker (mdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 11:40:24 PDT

No, we art teachers can not "save the world"...but together we can make a
difference. If we made a goal to reach one child daily with our message that
there is a better way to live...a better way to treat one another...then
maybe the "adult" world in the future will be a better place to live.
Think--think hard which candidate believes that the schools CAN give our
children hope for the future. I know for a fact the Bush said it is not the
place for our schools to give the students hope for the future. He said that
is a job for parents, churches and synagogues.
All of you know that so many of our students have a sad home life and that
there are probably as many (if not more) that do not attend churches and
synagogues than do. It IS our job to give these children hope (but be very
careful how you go bout doing this....smile). I reached one child last week
for about 20 minutes...his math teacher is trying very hard, too (and we are
of different faiths...this isn't about religion--it is about character).

>it could be a method of joining forces with
>our "academic partners" in the development of the total child.

This was said in reference to writing across the curriculum.....It could
also be said about Character Education. For more on Character Education see:
http://elms.elida.k12.oh.us/~jdecker/heroes.htm (this is not on my WCOIL
site)

"Do under others as you would have them do unto you" is a universal truth we
can share. I try to remember these words everyday... words which ended a
very touching poem written by my grandfather. Yes, grandpa, that rule is
"golden"!

Have a great week folks!

Judith Decker

P.S. Smile Roberta, I still have at least 45 minutes left (our private
little joke)....Now if Gore had only bought that poor girl a desk...maybe I
would believe he showed true compassion...Smile Lawrence--I did check the
Web page that you posted for Nader--Roberta sent it to me again. I am still
thinking.