Re: Deb: Writing in the art room-art in the classroom?

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 06:33:38 PDT

In a message dated 10/22/00 7:25:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Nnaell@aol.com
writes:

<< I agree....but when they have one hour of art per week (in some cases
less!)
vs 5-6 hours of writing a week...I will be darned if I am going to teach
writing!!! I will use what they should already know to further their art
knowledge and I will teach them all the art stuff <very intellectual word>.
I believe in educating the whole child..but to tell me I should use my
precious hour to teach them what they should already know.....I will help
them, achieve
what they are striving for...but I am not going to use my art time to TEACH
writing!

I second that motion! Journal writing and any written assessments that
RELATE to ART are appropriate for the art room. Infact, written assessment,
or I should say assessment, is an important part of the Standards. However,
I think that compositional writing and correcting of essays are no
appropriate for the reasons stated above.

I'm not implying that we are not capable of teaching and correcting, although
in NY we are not usually certified to do this. What I am agreeing with is
that there is too little art time as there is, why create less?

Perhaps I have the ideal situation in my elementary school: Sometimes my
students create a project and then go back to their classrooms and write
about it. For example, each 2nd grader made a mask in art a couple of weeks
ago, and then in their classrooms they made up a story about the mask. Next,
the computer teacher worked with them on the computers to print their
stories. We all worked together to integrate the learning experience. I
think the kids get the most out of it this way and we get to concentrate on
our area of expertise.
Susan on Long Island