Re: Art Clubs/question

---------

From: KPRS (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 18:05:58 PDT

I have run art clubs off and on for over 20 years. There was never a stipend.
We did 'community service' for our school...ie. we ran our in school art
gallery, we did the sets for the plays, we put up art shows, we 'decorated' for
special events, like assemblies. I teach in high school. The kids in my art
club were not neccessarily in the art classes. I would NOT teach anything
afterschool that was taught in an elective class. (Our courses are electives,
and you shoot yourself in the foot if you teach ceramics afterschool, because
then why would anyone ever sign up for your class?) I found that the art
clubbers were kids who liked art but couldn't fit it into their schedules.
Over the years we made kites, we made ornaments for Christmas trees and sold
them, we did a mural for a hospital, we made a batiked quilt as a gift for a
beloved teacher....(Once I picked up yearbook though, I stopped doing the art
club, and my colleague picked it up).

San D