Re: The 4-block schedule

---------

From: Litesal (litesal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 14:05:30 PDT

> Middle school is toooooo young for a block schedule if it meets every
other
> day. Please don't do it to your kids! There is much less continuity,
they'll
> forget between meetings, you miss twice the material if you are absent,
and
> you'll see them only 2 or 3 days a week on the modified block. The kids
this
> age need grownups to see them everyday. . . Our kids have 9 classes -
> NINE - with TEKS and writing assignments, 6 week tests and semester tests
in
> every one!!! 36 classes in 4 years!
> Anyway I could GO ON, as if you couldn't tell. It's good for college kids,
> not 11 -15 year olds. DON"T DO IT!!!!
> Deb W.

I agree, what you describe sounds bad for middle school. However, what
about the semester long block? Our high school has 4 blocks that meet every
day for one half of the year, and 4 blocks that meet the other half. All
the kids and teachers I talk to like it, except for band (because they need
them all year) in which case, the schedule could be altered. Other people
worried that certain subjects like math and foreign languages would suffer
from lack of continuity but "Research Says" (do you guys hear that one a
lot?) they don't.

Leah