Legit virus warning

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 07:59:13 PDT

Hi, all,

Another update on the Matrix virus, this from an online computer
newsletter I subscribe to:

This is a free service of ComputerProblems.com - We share your PAIN!
If you find this information helpful, pass it on to others...
If you would like to be added or removed from this list,
go to: http://www.computerproblems.com/quikreg.cfm

This is yet another reason not to open ANY attachment unless you know
who it's from and what the contents are.

Maggie

A: The "Matrix" Virus/Worm is on the loose and in wide
distribution, according to
Symantec AntiVirus Research Center and McAfee's AVERT system.

This new strain incorporates a "file infector" scheme that
can quickly corrupt hundreds
or thousands of program files on your computer and can
quickly spread across a
network.

It will typically be spread through an attached file in an
e-mail message. The known
attachments are as follows:

ALANIS_Screen_Saver.SCR
ANTI_CIH.EXE
AVP_Updates.EXE
BILL_GATES_PIECE.JPG.pif
BLINK_182.MP3.pif
' FEITICEIRA_NUA.JPG.pif
FREE_xxx_sites.TXT.pif
Geocities_Free_sites.TXT.pif
HANSON.SCR
I_am_sorry.DOC.pif
I_wanna_see_YOU.TXT.pif
INTERNET_SECURITY_FORUM.DOC.pif
IS_LINUX_GOOD_ENOUGH!.TXT.pif
JIMI_HMNDRIX.MP3.pif
LOVE_LETTER_FOR_YOU.TXT.pif
MATRiX_2_is_OUT.SCR
MATRiX_Screen_Saver.SCR
Me_nude.AVI.pif
METALLICA_SONG.MP3.pif
NEW_NAPSTER_site.TXT.pif
NEW_playboy_Screen_saver.SCR
Protect_your_credit.HTML.pif
QI_TEST.EXE
READER_DIGEST_LETTER.TXT.pif
SEICHO-NO-IE.EXE
Sorry_about_yesterday.DOC.pif
TIAZINHA.JPG.pif
WIN_$100_NOW.DOC.pif
YOU_are_FAT!.TXT.pif
zipped_files.EXE

For those files with .pif extensions, the .pif extension
might not be visible in your mail
program.

If you see any messages with the above attachement, delete
them immediately.

Both Norton Anti-Virus and McAfee's VirusScan have updated
their programs to fight
this strain, so be sure to download the latest updates for
these programs.