Re: Writing in the art room/good examples

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 05:42:02 PDT

>Why would we expect less from our students writing in the art room than
from
>an academic classroom?

As a former third grade teacher, I would like to add my voice here. It is
true that children are able to respond with some fantastic thoughts when
they are not constrained by spelling, grammer, etc. But we are also trying
to teach them to communicate and create writing that others will understand.
One of the biggest problems we face with younger students is to teach them
to do this properly. I know - the Art teacher is not the English teacher.
But we can help students paint with words, too. It's more work, but when my
students are going to exhibit writing, it has to be edited. By all means,
give them free reign to write; then have them go back and edit their
writing. It reinforces the skills they need to develop and shows them that
writing counts in all areas. In the process, they learn to be more
expressive.
I do have journals for my kids, and these are not edited. That's where they
get the freedom to write without constraints. But I have explained to them
that the journals are written for themselves. When they are writing for
others to see, they need to write for others to understand.
Just my two cents. :-)
Sally^.^