Re: The 4-block schedule

---------

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 07:33:05 PDT

on 10/21/00 6:37 AM, Jarsawyer@aol.com at Jarsawyer@aol.com wrote:

> Dennis -- what middle school are you at? It's hard to find a block schedule
> everyone is happy with. How do the classroom teachers like it?

Julie - I'm at a high school, not at middle. I teach at Green River HS in
Green River, WY. While I love the block & we have been on it long enough
that everybody has accepted it, it is not universally loved. Our Soc. Stud.
dept. in particular, still complains. Being real "forward thinkers", they
didn't want to change their teaching plans to fit the block. Some of them
still haven't - they lecture to the kids for 1 1/2 hrs., 2 45-min. lessons
back-to-back! Can you believe the kids are bored with this?

Some parents have complained, esp. a group who want math every day. Others
think having the kids signed up for 8 classes is too much - I tend to agree,
and would be willing to look at an immersion schedule (4 classes every day -
one year credit in a semester).

Block has created a few other challenges, too. It requires higher staffing
levels, and we're tight for money. SPED kids usually only get a study
skills class once every other day. But if you are into teaching kids rather
than material, I think it is the way to go.

BTW: our Middle School is still doing the 9 period day insanity. Transition
for the 9th graders is ugly! Hope this helps - Dennis in Wyo.