Re: Writing in the art room

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 18:49:22 PDT

hi
Not offended Christine, I just have a different view on this situation.
Yes we are to teach art and along with that comes many things that are related to
art.
It might mean an artist report, narratives on their artwork, notes,or critiques
are some of the ways writing can be involved in art.
Recently my 6th graders finished a unit on folk art( focus on Horace Pippen and
Grandma Moses. When they completed their paintings they wrote short paragrahs on
the story behind their paintings. They were so proud of them and I have enjoyed
watching students read then on display as it gives student viewers a further
understanding of their compostions.
I'm happy to see that writing and art have merged in some classrooms. See if the
other teachers in the classroom can work together with you on this as a
cooperative assignment. they could edit and rewrite with the other teacher.
MaryB