dough recipes from book, Mudworks

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 20:36:06 PDT

> I need the greater wisdom of this wonderful list. I have a kindergartner,
> who is allergic to all things with wheat.
> His mother would like to make play dough for the class. She has tried making
> it from Rice flour. Didn't work.

Here are some nice recipes from my Mudworks book that do not use flour.
Most of these should be made and then used right away, rather than made at
home and brought in the next day. They are best used immediately.

**Play Clay
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
21/3 cup warm water
Other:
Food coloring or tempera paints
shellac or clear nail polish
sauce pan
board

Process
1. Mix baking soda and cornstarch in a saucepan .
2. Mix in water and stir until smooth.
3. Over medium heat, boil ands until until like mashed potatoes.
4. Our onto a board to cool. Knead with cool.
5. For color, knead food coloring or paint into the clay until blended. Kids
like to mix colors doing this.
6. When dry, can be brushed with shellac or nail polish to shine.

Other:
Makes 1and 1/2 cups, and doubles well.
Hardens quickly. Can air dry to a hardness that can be painted.
Stores in airtight container for several weeks.

Here's another one called
***"Fun Clay 1"
Mix 1 cup salt and 1/2 cup cornstarch in a saucepan. Boil to a soft ball
stage. Then knead on was paper until dough-like. Wrap in a wet cloth to keep
for a few days. It is smooth, white, and good for making animals from one
ball with feet and features "pulled out".

And another, also from "Mudworks" called
***"Fun Clay 2"
Mix 2 cups salt and 2/3 cup cold water in a saucepan and boil.
Separately, mix 1 cup cornstarch with another cup of 2/3 cup water in a
bowl.
Add the salt mixture to the cornstarch mixture in the bowl.
Knead, and then model or mold clay.
Let dry several hours, and paint when dry.
Other. Makes 3 cups. Keep unused clay in a covered container or plastic
bag in the fridge.

***Sawdust Mixture
Mix 1 cup sawdust with 1/2 cup wallpaper paste in a bowl. Add enough water
to make a mixture that is soft like putty. Squeeze and pat the mixture to a
desired shape. let dry, and then paint if desired.

Lastly, here is one that is made from day old white bread, but I wonder if
you couldn't use a non-wheat bread to make this. I'm not sure, but here's
the recipe anyway:
***Bread Modeling:
2 slices day old "white" bread (how about rye???)
2 T White glue
2 drops glycerin
4 drops white vinegar
food coloring or paint
bowl
Process
Cut or tear crust from bread and set aside. Break bread into small pieces
in a bowl. Then add glue, glycerin, and vinegar. Mix and knead with hands
until smooth and pliable. Knead color in, if desired. Model and mold. Dry
for 1 or 2 days.
This recipe makes enough for 2 or 3 small objects. Use lotion on hands to
prevent sticking to hands. Excellent for jewelry and flowers. Project will
have a smooth satiny finish. Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for
several days. Paint with 2 or 3 coats of white glue thinned with water for a
shiny finish. Or bake at 225 for 4 minutes for a dry, hard finished product.

All of these are printed with permission from MaryAnn Kohl, author of
Mudworks, 1989.

MaryAnn Kohl
maryann@brightring.com
:o)