Re: Perplexing e-mail question ?????

---------

From: Michelle Lowe (mishlowe_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 15:55:04 PDT

Some email programs can be set to "leave mail on server", so that when you
download them to your personal computer, they are *not* erased from your
internet service provider. If you use the same email program all the time,
it can also be set to "ignore previously downloaded messages", so even
though you thought them erased, they were still archived on your ISP. When
you downloaded your email from a different email program/location, the
email program there probably saw all those messages as "new" so downloaded
them all again.

Does this make any sense?

Mishy

At 06:11 PM 10/19/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Help me understand this e-mail thing and how it works. I thought I had it
>figured out. I use Netscape to access my e-mail from where ever and the
>e-mail people send to me sits out there on a server with my ISP, internet
>service provider, in my case that's roadrunner (Time Warner). It sits there
>until I hit the get message icon in my e-mail program, then it is downloaded
>to my computer, then it is no longer on roadrunners server. At least I
thought
>that was the way it worked.
>
>I used to read some of my e-mail elsewhere (my Monday night class), I would
>download it and read some, but then forward the balance to myself so It would
>be out there for me to download again when I got home. Well, this morning I
>checked my e-mail before going to school. I had 28 or so messages, and I
e-mailed

>somebody who I thought might respond that same morning. My sixth graders, had
>finished testing so they were watching a movie and I decided to check my
e-mail
>from my classroom. I had 604 messages ?????? They of course took several
>minutes to download. Some of them went back as far as 10/02 ???
>How can that be ? Can somebody out there explain this to me. They were
many of
>the same messages I have in the trash at home. I've already read them and
thrown
>them out. How can they still be out there in cyberspace ? Are they
clones ? Can
>we
>bottle and market this and sell it to some dot com ?
>
>If you can straighten me out on this one, let me know. Woody in KC
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: mishlowe@amug.org

Michelle Lowe, potter in the Phoenix desert |/ |
mishlowe@amug.org -O- | |
mishy@desertdragonpottery.com /| | | |
|_|_|
http://www.desertdragonpottery.com ____ |