Perplexing e-mail question ?????

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:11:39 PDT

Help me understand this e-mail thing and how it works. I thought I had it
figured out. I use Netscape to access my e-mail from where ever and the
e-mail people send to me sits out there on a server with my ISP, internet
service provider, in my case that's roadrunner (Time Warner). It sits there
until I hit the get message icon in my e-mail program, then it is downloaded
to my computer, then it is no longer on roadrunners server. At least I thought
that was the way it worked.

I used to read some of my e-mail elsewhere (my Monday night class), I would
download it and read some, but then forward the balance to myself so It would
be out there for me to download again when I got home. Well, this morning I
checked my e-mail before going to school. I had 28 or so messages, and I e-mailed

somebody who I thought might respond that same morning. My sixth graders, had
finished testing so they were watching a movie and I decided to check my e-mail
from my classroom. I had 604 messages ?????? They of course took several
minutes to download. Some of them went back as far as 10/02 ???
How can that be ? Can somebody out there explain this to me. They were many of
the same messages I have in the trash at home. I've already read them and thrown
them out. How can they still be out there in cyberspace ? Are they clones ? Can
we
bottle and market this and sell it to some dot com ?

If you can straighten me out on this one, let me know. Woody in KC