Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Help! Emergency Printmaking Problem!

Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:28:38 PDT

In a message dated 10/18/2000 8:09:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

> The lesson was a
> disaster!!! What did I do wrong? The prints were either messy black
> or no print at all. The few somewhat clear prints I got are really not
> that clear.

Scratchboard is a drawing media in which black ink is applied over a chalky
white paint on a stiff board. When you scratch the black off you are
creating the finished product. This was never intended to be printed with
and the ink you applied will just be absorbed by the board.

What you wanted to do was make an intaglio print with a plexiglas sheet that
when scratched into with a awl or nail will give you a print. Moistened
paper and a press are necessary for this procedure.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA