HELP!!!PLEASE!!! HS COURSES!!!!

---------

From: dj (djash_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:48:37 PDT

--------------D5D9D08D85CE56CC1D98E6B0

In my department there are three art teachers. We are writing up
suggestions for curriculum revisions for next year. Right now we have:
Year courses:
Studio 1 - 2 - - 4 - AP
Cultural Arts and Crafts
Exploring the Arts
Introduction to Art
Every year SEMESTER courses: semester classes are 1/2 year classes so
they come inn pairs-
Ceramics/Acrylic Painting
Rotating semester courses (every other year they trade off)
Illustration
cartooning
sculpture
design
we are adding
watercolor
art1 and art 2
we are dropping - mostly due to lack of space and supplies
textiles
printmaking

one teacher is pushing for a tracking system that would be-
FIRST TRACK
All studio class / AP

Craft classes for an entire year
ceramics I
ceramics II
World Arts and Crafts I
World Arts and Crafts II

ELECTIVES - remember- these are not offered every year.
acrylic painting/ sculpture
and whatever else is decided as a pair.

Finally, my question:
The second art teacher has told me he's not keen on tracking. He thinks
it leaves open the door for guidance to steer kids one way or another.
In other words, art students track studio classes and are left out of
the other two tracks for the most part, and we all know what type of
students are packed into the other classes. Right now, we have a mix.
What your opinion?

I would prefer ceramics to be a whole year by nature of the "beast". A
semester of ceramics for kids who have had little or no experience is
not enough time. I would also like to acrylic painting as a whole year
class. I've always have looked at ceramics and acrylic painting as
"studio class" - intense lessons in one medium. I think that is great
for the kids to get use to and to help build a portfolio. The art
teacher who came up with the idea of tracking doesn't feel that that is
justified. She feels you major in classes in college in your 3rd year
and sees no reason to extend a painting course... every other year / for
half the year is enough. I disagree. I have to write up specific reasons
as to the benefit to the department for making acrylic painting a year
course when it doesn't fit into the "craft tracking" idea. BTW: The
track titles above do not have to remain that either. We could change
the names of the tracks if that helps ..... it's a word game here :-(
I also think having two classes of World crafts could be over kill for
now. Any opinions??????? I would appreciate any and all responses ASAP.
I was just told this today. Please email direct if you prefer and again
thank you. I hope I have explained this well enough. Please feel free to
ask any questions. I'm headed back to school now for a meeting and
wanted to get this out to all of you first.

Donna
djash@ibm.net

--------------D5D9D08D85CE56CC1D98E6B0

In my department there are three art teachers. We are writing up suggestions
for curriculum revisions for next year. Right now we have:
so they come inn pairs-</b>
it leaves open the door for guidance to steer kids one way or another.
In other words, art students track studio classes and are left out of the
other two tracks for the most part, and we all know what type of students
are packed into the other classes. Right now, we have a mix.
A semester of ceramics for kids who have had little or no experience is
not enough time. I would also like to <i><u>acrylic painting as a whole
year class.</u></i> I've always have looked at ceramics and acrylic painting
as "studio class" - intense lessons in one medium. I think that is great
for the kids to get use to and to help build a portfolio. The art teacher
who came up with the idea of tracking doesn't feel that that is justified.
She feels you major in classes in college in your 3rd year and sees no
reason to extend a painting course... every other year / for half the year
is enough. I disagree. I have to write up specific reasons as to the benefit
to the department for making acrylic painting a year course when it doesn't
fit into the "craft tracking" idea. BTW: The track titles above&nbsp; do
not have to remain that either. We could change the names of the tracks
if that helps ..... it's a word game here :-(&nbsp;&nbsp; I also think