Re: seeds and beans project questions

---------

From: Davis, Lisa (davisli_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 13:26:52 PDT

There is a building in South Dakota decorated with corn, corn cobs, and assorted other grains and beans (like mosaics made of corn). One of the web sites in http://www.cornpalace.org/cornpalace.html . Some of the detail pictures show lots of texture and pattern. There are many different subjects (figures, abstract patterns, etc). It may be worth a look.

Ann Wilschke wrote:

> I used to have my elementary students make masks using seeds etc. on
> cardboard shapes. All raffia etc. to decorate.
> worked great and could be a chance to use many of those terms.
> Ann Wilschke

Yeah I specifically don't want to do masks. I've done it many times and used
them also to make aztec suns
I want to use an artist, but use the medium of seeds and beans- thanks anyway.

> I am doing my monthly art literacy class this year
> with 1st and 2nd grades. They have been studying seeds and beans and
> flowers etc. in science. I am incorporating this into an art lit lesson.
> I thought about the seed bean masks but many variations- have done that. I
> want something new. Thought about Liza Lou and having them make flowers or
> bees (her symbols) out of seeds (3d) and placing all in a flower window
> box. Traditionally not beads or sequins because there is no funding.
> Anyone have any artist that works specifically with seeds and/or beans??
> Any other projects that will enable them to use terms-symmetry,less than,
> more than,balance, pattern, texture etc.?????

Sandra Barrick

mailto:tamayo@cinci.rr.com