RE: seeds and beans project questions

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 13:55:47 PDT

Ok, Sandra, here's the "non-" artist talkin' ! '>))

Way back around the time of the dinosaurs, when I was in maybe 4 or 5th
grade, I was invited to a summer art class hosted by our art teacher. Why
she picked me I have no idea. However,...

One of the projects we did was to take a cardboard milk carton (qt? I don't
know; the one's that measure about 3"x3" in base area; you know - standard
milk carton; or I guess you could use the small pt ones that you get in
school). We packed the bottom inside with a couple of inches of clay; not
too hard as it still needed to be impressionable. We then took seeds,
stones, acorn caps, whatever we could find outside, and pressed them into
the clay and then removed them. The idea, of course, was to make an
impressed design in the clay. This would/could bring in the terms you
wanted to use.

Once the clay had dried (or maybe it didn't need to; you all would know
better - I'm talking from an almost 40 year old memory!), the teacher had a
batch of...I don't know...plaster of Paris? something like that?...I
remember that it poured and was a grayish white...made up and poured it into
the cartons to a depth of an inch or so. They were then set out to dry and
harden.

When they were ready, we simply tore the carton open and pulled away the
clay. This left us with a cubic block with our design raised on the top.
Painting or other design of the top was optional.

It worked very well, I thought, and....I still have that piece to this day!!

(Don't ask me why I've kept it with me all these years; I don't know. :>))

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Lar