Re: Plastic etch printing???

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 05:29:09 PDT

> I wouldn't scrap the project - it is one of my students' favorites.

> and have three blankets on my tabletop press
> (catcher, pusher and sizing).

I didn't have to use this many blankets in my last teaching experiences,
but..I must have had at least the pusher blanket, and I think that is what
my problem is now. I was looking thru a Dick Blick catalog...and see I need
to fork out some money to buy a couple more blankets.
Until I can afford to do that...and they arrive, it seems pointless to make
the plates, though they could make 'em and set them aside as I have them for
the next term as well for paintng. We could take a couple days to print
them then.

> I also ended up using water based block
> printing ink instead of oil becuase clean up is so much easier.

You know...I've got both inks. However....with all the incricasies of the
etched lines, your students find time to wipe the excess water based ink
off the plate and get it clean before the ink dries in the lines? That
sounds hard to imagine for me. I could try it....

> Did you soak the paper long enough?

Thought I did....but again, I'll let the paper sit longer and experiment...

> Are your lines etched deep enough?

This is a personal plate for which I've run off a good number of prints in
the past without problems.

> I use etching stylus' and they make nice sharp lines, very deep.

I purchased hard finishing nails, drilled and hammered them into 1/2"
dowels, and sharpened them very sharp in the tech ed room on power sanders.

Heh...thanks for the response! Guess I'll have to order a couple
blankets....

Larry S.