Re: Plastic etch printing???

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 18:08:12 PDT

In a message dated 10/17/2000 7:23:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lseiler@laona.k12.wi.us writes:

> Perhaps I have the wrong paper, but I'm confident the stuff I tried is an
> etch paper. Maybe not...but thought it was. I'm about to put a kabotch to
> this project and save the plastic for next year until I can figure this
out.
> Thanks for any input!!!

I have been doing this for 15 years and it is very simple. Make sure that
the lines are deep enough to catch the ink, you should fell the lines.
Second use a felt dauber to apply the ink to really get into the lines and
fill them with ink. Use etching ink from Graphic Chemical (on the web) and
apply with the dauber in small circles and press hard.

To wipe off the ink start with cheese cloth and wipe in one direction
preferably against the lines in the Plexiglas next use a soft cloth rag to
gently remove more ink and film followed by crumpled news print for the last
film. We use cotton balls and q-tips to get ink off around small areas.

Soak the paper for 10-15 min. I use Rives BFK paper and blot dry with
newsprint and make sure there is no standing water on the paper. Put it into
the press by placing the plexiglass,paper,newsprint, felt (I use only the
thin felt). Press firmly and make sure it is even. Roll the press over
twice and check it before removing.

Try this and let me know!

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA