Re: Plastic etch printing???

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:02:53 PDT

Hi Larry,

When I was doing intaglio in graduate school--and beyond, our
etching presses at OSU had three layers of wool felt. The first pad next
to the paper was thin, then the other two were thick. These wool felts were
very expensive and the profs were rightly upset when a tear (not the crying
tear) got in them.
The profs probably added their own tears (from crying.) :-)
I always soaked my etching papers (Rives and Arches) at least 30
minutes prior to printing. An hour is better for thick papers.
If you can borrow a mezzotint rocker, try that for special effects
on your drypoint plates. Not sure how it would work on plastic. I used
copper.
Hope you have better luck next time.

Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a "right" felt to have on the press for
pressing paper down into the lines of the plate, and perhaps if my felt is
not just a common utilical felt for general printing purposes. Perhaps I
have the wrong paper, but I'm confident the stuff I tried is an etch
paper. Maybe >
Larry Seiler

Ann Heineman....aheinema@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu
Greensview School...Upper Arlington City Schools
(614)487-5050 Box 522
aheineman@uaschools.org