a need to vent

---------

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:14:57 PDT

I have found when I meet with other art educators I have either one of
two results. 1. I am glad I met the person and made a great connection. Or
2. I feel like shaking the person asking them when he or she is going to
become an art educator.
At our county wide inservice today, I meet several professionals. We
were making plans for next year. I mentioned that I wanted to go to sessions
regarding classroom management, new trends in education, just different
perspectives. The response I got made me sink into my seat. Basically, how
could I attend those "other" sessions? Why couldn't I attend ONLY the art
sessions?
I am very turned off by this attitude. I think as educators we need to
broaden ourselves. Take classes that interest us, not only professionally,
but personally. Since when has art become a class selective to the confines
of a classroom - or a cart for some of us? As educators we need to challenge
our ideas, our minds and stregthen our soul. We ask this of our students.
Shouldn't we practice this ourselves?
Then again I am the type of person to walk into a class that has no
relevance on my career. Only take it because it interests me. For me, those
are the classes that I learn the most and take back more than I could ever
dream of to my classroom and my own teaching style. It's a different
perspective.
We teach students to think outside the box. Sometimes we need to get out
of the box in order to think. That's how we become better educators. Not
because of some silly seminar on how to make a multi-culture project which
is aligned to state standards and intergrated to the curriculum.
Sigh... Thanks for letting me vent...

Jennifer in Michigan