Plastic etch printing???

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 08:16:16 PDT

--------------FF5AB2386402AC9915CBBBC3

Okay...my turn to ask a question. I have some background in intaglio, which in your typical high school environment you cannot do due to the acids, exhausts, etc; so...we printer wannabe's enjoy drypoint etching on acrylic plates.

At my last high school...we made some very nice and fine prints. I think we have the same el 'cheapo press too, which is just a table top.

Problem is...I'm about to have my kids start etching plastics, but ran an old one of mine thru just to have a print for demo purposes. Eeegads...it didn't print out. Made an impression from the pressure I turned up on the press, but very little of the inked lines came out.

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a "right" felt to have on the press for pressing paper down into the lines of the plate, and perhaps if my felt is not just a common utilical felt for general printing purposes. Perhaps I have the wrong paper, but I'm confident the stuff I tried is an etch paper. Maybe not...but thought it was. I'm about to put a kabotch to this project and save the plastic for next year until I can figure this out. Thanks for any input!!!

Larry Seiler
lseiler@laona.k12.wi.us

--------------FF5AB2386402AC9915CBBBC3

<i><font size=+1>Okay...my turn to ask a question.&nbsp; I have some background
in intaglio, which in your typical high school environment you cannot do
due to the acids, exhausts, etc; so...we printer wannabe's enjoy drypoint
fine prints.&nbsp; I think we have the same el 'cheapo press too, which
plastics, but ran an old one of mine thru just to have a print for demo
purposes.&nbsp; Eeegads...it didn't print out.&nbsp; Made an impression
from the pressure I turned up on the press, but very little of the inked
have on the press for pressing paper down into the lines of the plate,
and perhaps if my felt is not just a common utilical felt for general printing
purposes.&nbsp; Perhaps I have the wrong paper, but I'm confident the stuff
I tried is an etch paper.&nbsp; Maybe not...but thought it was.&nbsp; I'm