Re: How to organize room...supplies etc.

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 05:36:38 PDT

I know this suggestion is pretty anal, but I find that I can eliminate my
clean-up woes , on even the most complex project, with "silhouettes."
I tape a clean sheet of paper to a table and draw silhouettes in marker of
every piece of equipment, every tool, and every supply and I write the
names of each as well (It really doesn't take long). If it is wire
sculpture, I silhouette with a big marker every pair of pliers, every spool
of wire, and each roll of masking tape. This does two things. It
impresses my students with my emphasis on returning things, and it makes it
easy for them to remember where things go. At the end of the hour, I can
check at a glance if all tools are present, and will sometimes say, "There
are two pairs of pliers missing, you're not dismissed until everything is
in its place." They quickly scramble to return the stuff or the offenders
hold up the pliers showing me they are returning them forthwith.

I also had the Industrial Arts guys make up some wooden blocks drilled with
24 holes for pencils, brushes, pens, markers or whatever I set out so that
these items can be accounted for quickly. I think my students know I do
keep track of supplies, and knowing this, they are more respectful of the
stuff.
Christa