Re: The 4-block schedule

---------

From: Dennis Freeman (freemad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 02:08:00 PDT

--MS_Mac_OE_3054560881_416336_MIME_Part

on 10/15/00 7:26 AM, Felsecker at felsecker@home.com wrote:

Hello Everyone!
Our high school is going to be changing to the four-block schedule next
fall and I'm very curious to hear from all of you art educators who have
taught (or are teaching) the four-block. Does four-block work better for you
and your classes than the traditional schedule (6 class day). Have any of
your schools changed to the four-block, only to change back again to what
you were doing before? Are there any of you out there whose schools once
considered four-block and decided against it? WHY?
Just curious to see what reactions I might get....thanks a bunch!
Barb F.

Barb - We were one of the frst schools in Wyoming to go to the block, back
in 1992. I love it! I would go back to a traditional schedule kicking and
screaming. It cut our cleanup time loss in half, allows me to show an
entire 1 hr film and discuss it, improves contact & relationships with
students, and just takes the "hurry up" out of the classes.

On the downside, each absence causes students to miss more than on a
traditional schedule. Also, the need to have 8 classes both overloads
students and impacts credit for graduation. The worst part is that some of
our staff never changed their teaching to fit the block - we actually have
soc. studies teachers who teach two back-to-back 45 min. lectures each day -
the same ones they developed handouts for in 1982!

--MS_Mac_OE_3054560881_416336_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: The 4-block schedule</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
on 10/15/00 7:26 AM, Felsecker at felsecker@home.com wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2">Hello Everyone!<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Our high school is going to be changing to the four-bloc=
k schedule next fall and I'm very curious to hear from all of you art educat=
ors who have taught (or are teaching) the four-block. Does four-block work b=
etter for you and your classes than the traditional schedule (6 class day). =
&nbsp;Have any of your schools changed to the four-block, only to change bac=
k again to what you were doing before? &nbsp;Are there any of you out there =
whose schools once considered four-block and decided against it? &nbsp;WHY? =
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Just curious to see what reactions I might get....thanks=
a bunch!<BR>
Barb F.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
Barb - We were one of the frst schools in Wyoming to go to the block, back =
in 1992. &nbsp;I love it! &nbsp;I would go back to a traditional schedule ki=
cking and screaming. &nbsp;It cut our cleanup time loss in half, allows me t=
o show an entire 1 hr film <U>and</U> discuss it, improves contact &amp; rel=
ationships with students, and just takes the &quot;hurry up&quot; out of the=
classes.<BR>
<BR>
On the downside, each absence causes students to miss more than on a tradit=
ional schedule. &nbsp;Also, the need to have 8 classes both overloads studen=
ts and impacts credit for graduation. &nbsp;The worst part is that some of o=
ur staff never changed their teaching to fit the block - we actually have so=
c. studies teachers who teach two back-to-back 45 min. lectures each day - t=
he same ones they developed handouts for in 1982!
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3054560881_416336_MIME_Part--