SUAVE - United Communities for Arts in Education

---------

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 16:05:12 PDT

Dear Netters,
I received this email and thought some of you might be interested.

Dear BJB;
I had a lot of fun on my virtual field trip via TAPPED IN. I
hope to be
able to make the next session on November 2nd. Currently, I am working
on
an administrative credential that keeps my plate full. But I want to
tell
you about SUAVE, (Socios Unidos Para Artes Via Educacion/United
Communities
For Arts In Education). SUAVE is an organization run by a local chapter
based at The Escondido Center of Arts, and is entering its 7th year of
operation. They have expanded into a total of thirteen participating
schools and eight mentor schools. They promote "Arts in Learning" as a
pedagogy through courses in art and music. An important aspect of this
program is the site art coach. The art coaches are hired by SUAVE and
sent
to participating sites. My art coach this year is a Native American
named
Abel Silvas, but goes by the stage name of "Running Grunian." He is a
mime
and trained with Marcel Marceau for 15 or more years. He helps students
mime out vocabulary terms, tells (acts) stories, as well as lesson plans
with me to combine art and science. For more info, get them on the web
@
http://www.csusm.edu/SUAVE/

A.

Respectfully submitted,