Re: curriculum question

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:58:13 PDT

In a message dated 10/15/2000 1:39:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
felsecker@home.com writes:

> Anyway, would it be possible for you to send me your curriculum also? I
> have several Beginning Art classes (among other classes) and am always
> interested in making them better.

Sure, I was only going to list the projects that I do with the students and
the skills and/or knowledge to be learned by each unit.

Art 1 9-12th grade

Contour drawing: thick or thin line quality, gradations (in the negative
area)
Composition, such as area of emphasis, harmony, balance,
and directional movement. Pencil on paper using plants and/or
mechanical objects. Critique and test.

Color Theory #1 Color of color (chromatic scale)
Primaries, secondaries, tertiaries, intermediates. Create a painting
using different line qualities. Wavy, straight, curved, interrupted
line
with tempera using the chromatic scale in the line design. Test.

Basic Forms: Sphere, Cone, Cylinder, Cube, Pyramid, and Prism, using
a light source talk about the 5 principles of shading a form to
include
highlight, shade, shadow, reflected light and backshading. Graphite
on paper with blending tools to produce a smudge shading tech-
nique that will produce light values of gray. Critique and test.

Design project: Using a finder and the discussion of the elements and
principles of design look for the composition in a magazine image.
Keeping in the nonobjective mode using colored pencils, enlarge
and create a drawing of the small finder image. Critique

Crayon resist: a project developed to use the stylized mode of design
creating the use of a subject/ background in a simplified style
that looks like stained glass. Using crayons and black tempera
paint to resist the wax. Spaces a re created between shapes
and the areas of the subject are filled with blending and layers of
wax from crayons. Black paint is applied with water to resist
the wax and fill in the spaces with the black paint. Critique

Color Theory #2 Values: this chart concerns black, white and tones of
gray. These can be used as tints and shades of colors. Test.

Value Abstract: Using at least three contour studies of parts of a bicycle
we construct an overlapping composition with tracing paper. Using
the tints and shades of a color we make a value scale and use
this to paint an abstraction of the bicycles using a value pattern
and good composition. Critique

Perspective: One and Two point perspective with cubes and such. How to
make a checkerboard, holes, etc. They design a city of the future
with pencil it is shaded with an imaginary light source. Critique
and test

Color Theory #3- Intensity: Complementary Pairs of colors that will dull and
take away the chroma of another. After the chart they sketch a
few objects of fruit and vegetables. I cut up lemons, oranges,
banana's, and they use contour line to sketch them. Create a
background of tiles and/or bricks to finish. Paint them with
different
shades of the complementary pair, such as blue for an orange.
Using Seraut and pointillism as a guide, paint dots of tempera over
the pre-painted blues to show a value change and as they work
away from the highlight it will get duller by applying more blue to
the
orange. Very intense and beautiful. Critique.

Still Life drawing: Pencil and blending tools to create a realistic drawing of
a group of objects. Preliminary sketches for composition and using
sections of the still life. Strong light source. Techniques shown
for
wood, glass, material. Many small group demo's, very involved.
Critique.

Pen and Ink drawing: This will teach cross-hatching, dots, line, pattern and
other pen and ink techniques. Your choice of subject. Critique

That's about it for the first year. It gives them a good foundation to work
from and then in Art 2 we explore more media and get into the Modes of design
in more detail. Art 3.4 just do more of the same. to help toward working on
Advanced Placement.

Hope this helps you.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA