bad subs/good subs

---------

From: Jeannie Sandoval (jeannie_sandoval_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 12:46:40 PDT

Hi all,
I know it is stressful to be out of school and if you don't know who will be
subbing for you- that can even add to the stress. I try very hard to make
clear, precise plans. When I make plans, I act like the sub has never been
in a class before and basically spell out everything. I include rules and
expectations, syllabus, info sheets in my sub folder. I have been known to
leave food for them (leftover fruit from lunch the day before- hey, it's the
thoguht!) ha!
Like someone said earlier, the best plans made can make for an easy day.
Sometimes I leave a video- othertimes, they do art. Depends on the class.
If you do feel the need to lock up things in the class, try Zip Ties.I use
them to lock my cabinets in the summer- the only way to open them is to cut
them. If anyone breaks in, you would know about it. Zip Ties are cheap and
you can buy them by the pack. No holes in your cabinets.
I am sure we all have horror stories about our subs but I am grateful when I
can get one and try to make it as easy for them as possible.
Good luck!
jeannie in ga