Re: Curriculum question (Brenda & Mary)

---------

From: Andrea Dunmire (artshui_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 10:19:03 PDT

For brenda robson and MaryB,

MaryB wrote:
I can't see being forced to teach the exact same
lesson year after year (or for me it would also be every 6 weeks). I feel
one
can still meet certain basic objectives with a variety of lessons. For
example,
if I'm teaching basic color theory with a focus on analogous colors, I could
use many different lessons to do it.

and

brenda robson wrote:

> Do any of you have any suggestions on this curriculum question?
> Do you work from the same pre-planned curriculum each year?
> Does that count against you at art competitions?

I read brenda's question and was contemplating answering it, but was not
sure how.
We adopted a Discipline-based curriculum years ago and as such, base all of
our lessons on artists and works of art. I used to do more crafty things at
holidays and other times of the year, but do not anymore.
We use the "Artworks" series as a starting point for our lessons, but then
do just as you suggested, MaryB, teach those concepts we have identified as
necessary using a variety of ways and means. I can say that there are very
few lessons that I repeat exactly, on any level- 1-6, in my 23 years of
teaching art.
I vary the approach or the medium or the focus artists, etc.
I would surely lose my mind from boredom otherwise.

We are coming up on a curriculum revision time soon and we may not be going
with "Artworks" again- but whether we choose a prepackaged series or not,
our approach will remain the same. There are zillions of ways to teach
those concepts and being creative with your lessons is part of the fun of
teaching art.

Andrea in Pa.
- to contact me directly use artshui@hotmail.com