Re: bad sub

---------

From: Wendy Manning (wmanning_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 19:52:18 PDT

DWHEEL5645@aol.com wrote:

> I even leave candy for my subs!!

So do I. I make sure they get my "general info for supply teachers", which
includes a note saying what the students can and cannot touch "no matter what
they try to tell you", because students can be less than truthful about things
like that. Not that I always did that.....once years ago the custodians had to
stay till 10 p.m. washing the paint off my walls when I got sick overnight and
wasn't able to plan for the supply teacher. That was before I moved out of
province and had to be a sub myself.
If students misbehave for a sub, they will write a personal apology to the sub,
and possibly get parents called. They know this is not an idle threat. Also they
know that the best-behaved class (sub does the choosing) gets a treat when I get
back. I'm amazed at how well this shameless little bit of bribery works in middle
school; it gives the sub a bit of power, and it's funny to hear a roomful of
grade 8 louts bragging about how good they were.
In my experience as teacher and as a sub, I have found it best if kids this
age are prepared in advance: they are so set in their routine and can become
agitated and even angry if it's upset by having an unannounced sub or with
unexpected changes. So whenever possible I stick with work in progress or else I
let them know in advance. (But NO paint or other potential weapons/messes will be
used when I'm not there.)