RE: Why Would Teachers not use Museum Educational Curriculum

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 19:50:32 PDT

Yes museum should know in advance what their exhibits are going to be. I
have CAM planned through May 2002 and tentatively through May 2003. SAMFA
doesn't know what is going to happen after December 2000, but that is due to
being in a new building. They couldn't book exhibits until they had
possession of the building, so they are playing catch up. Howard is working
on a three-year schedule for them also. Now you said it was a major exhibit
for your area. I suspect then the curator of the exhibit (not the museum)
was supplying the catalogues; they are usually packed at the bottom of the
last crate.

Also I know that the catalogues for SAMFA's San Angelo National Ceramics
Competition usually are not available until a year after the competition. I
know part of the reason is they don't know until a month before what will be
in the show. First they get the entries, then they process them, then they
ship the carousels of slides to the juror, juror selects pieces for the
exhibit, then the artist ship the pieces, then the staff unpack them and
deal with several broken and usually 1 shattered piece that is several days
back and forth with the artists then repairs, then they install the exhibit,
then the day of the opening the juror chooses the winners.

Slides are expensive to make, at least on our budget. We are considering
sending CD Roms to teachers. I can create HTML programming and includes
pictures and even video. The problem with using HTML is that we can't
control the look on different systems. The advantage is that any decent
computer is going to have a browser and we don't have to worry about Apple
vs Windows, and we can do it in house with Frontpage2000. We can buy blanks
in bulk and for now burn them on our own computers. (Actually my computer)
Teachers would get a choice; one paper version or the CD ROM. The CD Roms
would probably be loans the teacher would return. Teachers could print out
information for students if they wished. That reminds me we have a group of
artists who want to create a video about ceramics from digging up the clay
to the final piece. I need to call them.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator