RE: bad subs (Barb)

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 19:50:30 PDT

I know it is a privacy issue, but emergency medical information should be
available in some form. When I was subbing, a student in another room nearly
went into diabetic shock. The kids had pulled several pranks, including a
fake asthma attack. The diabetic child was a ringleader of the trouble. So
when he told the sub he needed to go get his sugar tested, she assumed it
was another prank. Fortunately the student walked out of the room and across
the hall to the room I was in (the whole grade level was out observing block
scheduling at another school). He asked me to tell the other sub he was
diabetic. I did and sent him down to the nurse with a trustworthy student.
The nurse sent back a note that he needed sugar and to lie down. It can be a
simple as a notice that you have students who have the following problems
and that the teacher next door knows the names if the sub should need them.
Also emergency procedures on dealing with asthma attacks, diabetes, and
epileptic seizures should be in your sub folder if you have students with
these medical conditions.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator