Re: Subject of murals...any ideas?

---------

From: L. P. Skeen (lpskeen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 16:37:26 PDT

> I am about to start a mural program in my school.

Kevin,

I recently did "mural" projects with my 7th and 8th graders. I showed the
Keith Haring video, and later the Diego Rivera video, and we had discussion
on what social issues are and what ones they (kids) have to deal with.
Then, I give each table a huge piece of paper, and they draw out their mural
block about a specific social issue. From here, I have been prepared to go
one of 2 ways: If it's not raining, each table gets a set of sidewalk chalk
and we go outside. They pick a section of sidewalk square, and their mural
gets drawn in the square. If it's raining, each table gets a set of tempera
cakes and a big piece of Kraft paper to paint their mural.

So far, it hasn't rained, and the sidewalk murals look really good. :)