Re: How to organize room...supplies etc.

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 14:04:12 PDT

"Anna N." wrote:

> Silence... Its a beautiful thing. You can also use this time to prep for
> your next class, since no one will be trying to get your attention for
> anything!

A beautiful thing...well usually, but you'd probably freak out if you saw our
clean-up.
Can't use the silence thing since they have to communicate with their table
mates.
My middle schoolers know that clean- up is a cooperative effort and if they
can't clean- up well they( their table) are the last to wash hands. This is a
big deal especially when we do clay.
I like watching them take reponsibility for their mess. When I announce the
clean-up jobs, I just stand back and watch. They rarely argue who will do what
job, since there is really no time too. Sometimes I'm surprised how fast they
can go! They also can earn Art Dollars doing postive things and good cleaning
is one of them.
I tried silent cleaning my first year of teaching. I felt like I was knocking
my head against a wall and being a dictator. All you new teachers , you will
eventually find something that fits your needs and personality as far as
management. It just takes some time.
maryB