Re: bad sub

---------

From: Kelly Mccully (kelldave_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 13:09:31 PDT

To all who complain about "bad subs";

I make roughly 1450$ a month. I have a degree in art education. Im
certified to teach but have no contract. I consider my classroom management
skills quite good. I have no benefits. Presently seeking public assistance
to help support my small, single mother family.
I am a substitute teacher.

I get to class as early as I can to read what lessons you want me to
deliver and do so with as much grace as I can. Quite often students find
having a substitute teacher to be "free time". I have been lied to,
manipulated, hassled, confronted, laughed at and humiliated by the children
you see daily. I adore teaching and do my very best to keep rooms as clean
if not cleaner than you left them. I work in the inner city and love it. I
lend all of my personal and college know-how to what it is you want me to
teach. In my spare time I write lessons for the classroom I dream of having.

Here is an idea for all teachers. Set up a system with your kids for when
there must be a sub. Appoint each child (or group of children) in charge of
something. Have the sub remind them of their duties at the beginning of
class. Give them points or whatever your reward system is to motivate and
PRAISE your students for GOOD behavior.
So often, the only notes I leave for teachers are the "who did what bad
thing" notes", I want to leave the "these kids were extrordinary" notes
more.

There are bad subs, yes, but couldn't it also be a matter of poor behavior
and poor planning?
Kell