RE: solutions for museums

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 12:51:22 PDT

Diane,

I completely agree with most of your points. Yes if at all possible use
e-mail to help book a tour. I can't interrupt one class's field trip, to
spend 30 minutes on the phone booking a tour for another class. Please be
patient with those of us in smaller museums. We have one person who can book
tours at CAM, one who can book tours at SAMFA, one who can book rentals at
SAMFA, and two who can book birthday parties at CAM though I must confirm
the B-day booking. The reason is very simple, it avoids double bookings, and
especially since we do everything we can to accommodate school groups. If we
were rigid and inflexible, then other staff members could book groups a set
of rules. Since other staff members have no way of knowing what exceptions
can be made on a given day, it is much simpler to go through the person who
does know. And we haven't even gotten to the grade level specific stuff yet.

I wish I could make a pre-visit trip to every school. That is just
impossible. We do have collaborative efforts to help teachers on the
elementary level integrate art into the regular classroom and our educator
does visit secondary art classes. We participate in evening events at
schools - the librarians seek out our involvement because we are very
interested in exhibits about illustrators at the Children's Art Museum. We
also send a teacher guide with information the teacher can use and at least
1 cross-curricular lesson plan, and a post tour art production lesson plan.

When calling and leaving a message on voice mail or an answering machine
please do the following
1. State your name and spell it (sometimes names get mangled because of
background noise)

2. State if you want to book a field trip and have dates (repeat dates
twice) or if you want general information

3. State the School, School District, grade level and the number of students
coming (I can't tell you how many times I've tracked down a teacher whose
name was nonsense on the machine and whose phone number had transposed
numbers because I did have a school and grade level)

4. Give your phone number(s) and conference period, lunch periods, time
school gets out, time you leave campus (School number is area code 9 (beat)
1(beat) 5 (beat) etc)

5. Give your e-mail (spell it remember to say capital if letters are
capitalized)

6. Repeat all contact information (try writing it as you say it to slow you
down)

I don't know about other museums but calling me before school or after is
generally more productive than during your conference period (unless your
conference period is after 2:00 pm because generally school groups have
left).

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator