Re: Art Teachers/ Artists

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 06:40:12 PDT

I was asking one of my art ed professors about this a couple of years ago and she began complaining about how the professors in the Painting, Sculpture, and Graphic Design areas sort of look down upon those that teach in the art ed dept. because they're not as much "real artists" as they are. I couldn't believe it! Even though the other professors teach and make art, they feel that the faculty that teaches about making art is less "arty" than they are! I've heard that some of the "studio" professors believe that the art ed dept. should really belong in the school of education rather than the school of art. It's the same thing as when I was an undergrad and shared a painting studio with other BFA candidates. I almost didn't want to tell the painting majors that I was really art ed with a concentration in painting because I knew they would look at me differently. There's just a stigma within the fine arts that those who can't.. teach.

And I think I have it hard trying to get in a painting every so often between teaching... most of the art ed professors write articles, present at conventions, AND show their own artwork during the year on top of their teaching and family demands. I can't imagine how they do it! Michelle

Kerry wrote "Wasn't Paul Klee a teacher as well as an artist? I'm sure the examples are many! And isn't this perfectly acceptable at the college level? Are we any less an artist for reaching them early?!?!"