Re: Answer to the museum question + more

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D. (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 08:09:19 PDT

Great answer Artgotch!

I think it is great to support other academic areas! What a concept! Yes,
I will remember to encourage my art education majors to reach out and
support other academic areas and create bridges. I remember when I was an
art teacher, it was easy for me to stay isolated and feel defensive and
unwanted in the curriculum. We must be proactive and be part of the total
curriculum!

Well said!

Diane

At 9:32 AM 10/15/00, Artgotch@aol.com wrote:
>I would have to "Ditto" much of what San D wrote, however, an outreach
>program of bringing art to the classroom could be the way to go for some of
>our schools. Being that the academic teachers plan major trips, another out
>of the building experience is most always looked down upon. Another way to go
>is perhaps the art teacher can be include as part of the academic trip.
>Example: when our 8th graders go to Washington, DC, I always add questions to
>their notebook that include art museum visitations and in that way the
>students are required to think of art as an important component of the trip.
>Before we leave, I always give my art students additional questions to answer
>for my class in addition to what the rest of the students are asked to write
>and draw on. By standing beside the academics, we can a much stronger
>position.
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to artsednet as: dianegregory@earthlink.net

Diane C. Gregory, Ph.D.