Paper Stained Glass

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Oct 15 2000 - 02:48:55 PDT

I have a fun little project for elem to middle school students which
requires simple materials. They come off quite decorative and appear like
stained glass.

Materials-
Crayola Washable Markers
several packages of cheap white coffee filters
package of typing paper
9"x 12" black construction paper
spray bottles of water
newspapers for covering tables

I have the kids color their coffee filters, and you can do this to study
warm versus cold colors, or to typify the changes of fall, etc; and I have
them put plenty enough color on. Fill 'em in good.

Then lay the filters on top of a sheet of typing paper, and squirt the
filter about 5-6 times approximately eight inches away. Set the nozzle for
spray, not squirt!

Let the filter sit for a few minutes so the colors bleed, (sorta like a
tie-dye!), but...what is neat is that the colors will bleed also onto the
typing paper in neat patterns and creases. I then have the students pencil
their names on these typing sheets so that they can be used for another
isolated/separat project later on.

Students then dry the filters over a register, a fan...waving them about,
etc; and then set them aside. Next...they fold the black paper in half, and
cut interesting patterns out on the folded side. This is important. The
more intricate, the "cooler!"

Thereafter....they apply a little glue all around the opened pattern and
then position it over the coffeefilter an adhere them together.

To finish them off I have them fold the design and black paper together, and
trim around the outside of the cut pattern so that the perimeter likewise
has a symmetrical interesting shape that compliments the design. Open 'em
up, and tape 'em up onto the windows. They look really cool, and kids are
much impressed!

Larry Seiler