RE: curriculum question

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 14:29:13 PDT

I meant to respond the original posting. I remember in elementary school
there were projects in different subjects that were rites of passage in
away. You knew for example in 3rd grade you would learn to play a recorder,
fourth grade was trip to San Antonio to the caverns (day trip from Houston 4
hours one way yes Texans are nuts), 5th grade was swimming class (bit
redundant for a bunch of kids who grew up in swim club or country club swim
teams but a big deal because we went to the districts natatorium) and the
end of the year play. We are outraged when the new music teacher refused to
let us do the end of the year play.

My personal opinion is that a few big projects for different grade levels in
your program could create a similar excitement. It would be good "publicity"
for your program, if kids went home at the end of the year talking about how
the next year they get to _______________. Not to mention the excitement
when the project starts. This is all assuming that the projects fit into
your plan for teaching over the whole year.

Kimberly Herbert (kimberly@wcc.net)
CAM Administrator