Re: Data on Art Education & Test scores

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 19:49:07 PDT

Dennis Freeman wrote:

> > Does anyone out there have information regarding how the arts have improved
> test scores? We all know that art makes better problem
> solvers but I'm presently looking for data and studies to back it up.

<snip>

Having said this, I think there is a significant question as to whether
arts
educators should rely on test scores or effects in other curricular
areas to
justify our programs. <snip> We should teach arts for
their own sake, not because of the supposed effect on NRT results.
<snip>

What the arts can do has little to do with test score and everything to
do
with creativity, communication, intellectual depth and quality of life.
That is what we should focus on and emphasize, not our ability to aid
with
purely academic subjects other than our own. Just my opinion, but there
it
is.

Very well put, Dennis! The former CEO of Binney and Smith made a speech
in which he said something similar. I'll dig up the quote at school and
post it.

Maggie