Japanese Painting Lesson/ sumi-e

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 18:23:09 PDT

Howdy fellow artsednetters!

Awhile ago, several of you had asked for a unit I did with my Art II students and I promised to send it to you. Well, it's now posted at http://www.learnnc.com for all to see and download my handouts and PowerPoint presentation. You can find these lessons by browsing subject matter or grade or doing a search using my name (Michelle Harrell) or "Japanese" and 3 of my lessons will be the first to pop up. So if there's anyone who thinks I've forgotten to mail you your stuff, go to the web-site and it's all there.

More about the lessons for those that haven't a clue what I'm talking about: This is a unit for talking and writing about as well as creating Japanese screen and scroll paintings. The purpose of this unit plan to introduce descriptive aspects of art criticism to students at a rate they feel comfortable with while teaching them to the art and culture of Japan. There's 3 lessons: Describing Japanese Screens through words, Describing them through images (where I teach sumi-e), and a Japanese tea ceremony that serves as our critique.

I'd be happy to hear feedback or answer any questions about the lessons.

Michelle H. Harrell
michelle_h_harrell@hotmail.com
Southeast Raleigh High School
Center for Accelerated Studies